Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Birthdays and Goodbyes

Tuesday morning took off with a rather rough start. Getting older means the body is not as prone to a quick recovery--can't keep up with the Jones anymore. The Wingsday partying from the night prior tipped toward the excessive but alas, I had to get up early to be my sister's consult at court. It's nothing major of course, just a traffic violation that we plan to fight.

On the way into court Diana notices her friend and teammate, Stephanie, waiting in line with her mom. It was beginning to turn into a regular East High reunion for traffic deviants. As we sat there awaiting our turn, my wandering eye catches a familiar face out on the side. My tan complexion nearly turned white as I saw Laura walk into the court. I hadn't spoken to her for quite some time and it quickly grew awkward. Due to the nature of being quiet in the court, she motions me to call her before leaving. Of course she does this a the distance so everyone turns and looks at me. Yikes.

When I returned from the downtown area, I took a good nap before tonight's festivities. Pardeeville Amber had invited me out for her birthday where she'll start off at the Nitty Gritty for dinner. I went and presented my gifts before meeting her friends and roommates. At the corner of the bar, I noticed a couple of Scuba and regular Wingsday aficionados; Mik, Matt, and Steirs. We get a few drinks and chat before being shuffled into the dining room for the birthday meal. At the end of dinner, we toast as customary and on that very note I buy Amber a shot called the muff diver. It's basically a shot covered in whip cream which she had to take with only her mouth as a utensil. I was presented this for the very first time on my own birthday from the Great White, Mr. Jaws Kramer.

Though the night would not end here, Amber's crew moved on to the next bar while I waited around for Melissa and friends to arrive at the Gritty. It's Melissa's last day in Madison before flying home to Boston and I also agreed to hang out with her. I enjoyed the time waiting around with Sarah and Jenica at the bar as Matt works his bartending shift. When Melissa finally came by, we took down a round of shots as David, Julie, Kelly, Kira, and Jeff had arrived on the scene. Kelly had a gift for me and to my surprise, it was a thick stack of Charlie Toy business cards. They're for my own personal use as I take up the position of filling in for the eldest Toy sibling. With Alice in school, that means all four Toys can make trouble in the Mad City.

Before ultimately making our way to the Karaoke Kid, we make a stop at Brother's for a drink. At the Kid, I sing Amber a birthday song as I typically do for most birthdays. I also sing one for Melissa as for the short time I've known her is at its end. When the night was all but over and most of the crew had gone home, Melissa requests of me to end the night elsewhere than Karaoke Kid. I thought it might be nice to swing by the Vintage Bar for her last night in Madison. The scene is very indicative of the student bar element and not a bad place to finish the night out.

Amber's Birthday '05
Gallery

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 3

Amber's Birthday '05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home