Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A Link to the Past

I spent the morning hanging out with my mom. It had been a while since we've done things just mom and son. After running a few errands, we stopped in at a US Cellular store to pick up a new Kyocera SE44 Slider phone. The lady rep. was very nice and decided not to charge me for the activation of the new phone.

Today, Prof. Dale lectured about Venice. Unlike the surrounding cities that had a past linked to Roman antiquity, Venice was founded by refugees that were displaced by the Lombard invasion. As a result Venice had to seek its own past which it linked to the city of Aquileia. I thought about how this parallels my studies in Asian Art History because I too am seeking my past. As a child I left the continent of China and so with it a grand ancestral history.

It's no wonder why I am akin to the comic book hero Superman. Identified as Clark Kent from Kansas, his true past is that of Kal-El of the planet Krypton. Escaping the destruction of his own world he arrived on Earth to find himself alone and the last son of the lost Krypton. He spent his teenage years observing super powers and discovering his legacy and birthright.

Feeling a bit tired after class I caught a quick nap before going into Kendo practice. I spent a good amount of time with Jungkwan on improving jigeiko (combat practice) and footwork. After a shower I decided to take my dad out for a steak dinner at the Northwoods Bar & Grill. Diana was finishing up some homework at a friend's house. Finished with dinner, I met up with my sister for a little shopping and hanging out.

It was good to spend this day with my family. They are my link to the past and the most important thing in the present.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 2

Christopher Reeve took on the role of Superman from 1978 to 1987. In a 1995 accident, Reeve was paralyzed from the neck down after being thrown from his horse. Up until his death last year he had fought hard for research in the recovery from paralysis.

Super man.

Christopher Reeve: Super man.

He made us believe a man could fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home