Thursday, June 23, 2005

Dark Water

It's dark. As I slowly rub weary eyes I find myself lured to the dim green glow of the alarm. The clock reads twelve midnight. How long have I been out? It couldn't have been long. As thoughts swirl around back in my head, I can remember now that less than 2 hours have passed since I dozed off. A week of windsurfing had taking its toll along with a lack of sleep. For the past few nights, my sleep had been at the mercy of the dream world. Thoughts not easily shed and dreams indescribable yet strangely unforgettable. I feel so powerless and it keeps me up.

This last night, not able to sleep, I gathered up a stack of overdue books to return to College Library. I take them to the drop off slot because it's two in the morning and only a few people can be seen stumbling around, presumably returning from a night at the bar.

The early morning had a cool warmth about it so I put on a jacket and walked the short path down to the Union Terrace. Though the lights were still on, just one table is left occupied with kids talking too loudly for the night stillness. I don't listen so I continue my walk. At the foot of the path are rocks that descend into the lake. I sit there a while to think about what I'm doing up. I can't sleep I guess.

In the darkness of the lake, a few ducks have flown in for a landing. They glide gracefully along the gentle night tide making less noise than the terrace kids. I look into the distance across the lake and found the familiar flashing red light of the Oscar Meyer smoke stack. As I look up at the sky I catch the short streak of a brilliant flare. It was probably the reflection off a low orbit satellite or the International Space Station. It was beautiful--a heavenly sign.

Walking a little further I reach an area marked for swimming. At this hour, no one was swimming of course so the dark waters lay calm, slightly sparkling only by the reflection of the colorful terrace lights. I sat a while to think about what I'm doing up. The quiet serenity is abruptly interrupted by a large splash in the distance. It made a sound such as someone swashing in the water for help and then it was gone. I didn't make much of it until it came back again moments later. And then again another pass and I called out to make sure it's not actually someone in need of help. In the shadow of twilight, the noise stops and it becomes still once more.

I later found out it was a large fish hunting the early prey. The truth is the drowning image stuck and I realize how the water has been an integral part of recent dreams. I'm not scared, no. It is something else....

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 2

Soma at Sunset

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home