Friday, September 09, 2005

Neverland

Friday night played host to a grand public Hoofer Sailing Social inviting everyone and their dog for a cookout on the lake front. The meal they were serving was pretty good comprising of beer soaked brats and spicy marinated chicken breasts. I of course recognize numerous sailing regulars but made it a point to talk to some of the newbies that had just signed up. I met Brock down there as he came in on a windsail. In the course of enjoying our meals over ample conversation, both of us conclude that the lake is getting cold and it's really our last chance to get out windsurfing before the season is over.

When Brock left the lake, my old friend Kristie surprised me by dropping in. She had just come into Wisconsin from Colorado to visit her sister. I took her out to one of the piers and we sat out under the stars. It was a pleasant night to chat and catch up on personal things. We remind ourselves of the years past and where things are going for us, friends, family and all. Sometimes growing up means to move on. I guess I should be more willing to see what's behind that door. It could be a brick wall or it could lead to some place outside my comfortable boundaries. Wherever that path may lead me, what's important now is to step forward onto that track. What's weird is that as far as I could remember being a kid, I didn't want to grow up. Growing up meant so many things. And now that no one's looking, in a blink of an eye, the childish escape has gone.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 3

Hoofer Sailing Social

an excerpt from J. M. Barrie's Peter and Wendy

"Second to the right, and straight on till morning."

That, Peter had told Wendy, was the way to the Neverland; but
even birds, carrying maps and consulting them at windy corners,
could not have sighted it with these instructions. Peter, you
see, just said anything that came into his head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home