Tuesday, May 03, 2005

A Night of Honor

Last night, Diana was inducted into the Madison East High 2005 Class of the National Honor Society. The inductee ceremony was fairly standard with music, opening remarks, and the recital of the principles and ideals of the society. Among these were Leadership, Service, Scholarship, and Character. The last one, Character, has been on my mind a great deal.

Character: The student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.

As I watched these young kids prepare for the next phase in their lives--mainly college life--I have to reflect a bit upon how far I've come in my own of maintaining the values entrusted in me. Of the four principles upholding honor, I see Character as the true virtue that the other three must have to excel. Leadership, Service, Scholarship, without Character, are poor at best.

In the weeks past, my own character has been under attack and I'm confronted by self-doubt. It's a crushing feeling. It hurts a hell of a lot more when it comes the from the ones you hold in esteem. It makes you weak. Above all, it questions your own intentions.

I think again about what it means to have character. It's what your parents gave you. It's societal development. It's respect and caring. Most importantly, it's about what you believe. And I believe in the good. I believe in the funny things in life. I believe in hope. I believe in heroes--they can overcome any trial.

So it's a challenge of sorts and I have no ill-will for the person who harrows this upon me. Friendship afterall is abound with give and take.

I know my sister will go far in life. She has all the best qualities of character. I hope she takes the limits of what I can teach and apply it in her future. I know that I will learn from my recent lessons of humility and not make the same mistakes.

I come out of this hopefully a better man. The commitments of character are the same. I still believe in the good and the funnies. But, as far as heroes are concerned, my friend you have taught me to question their validity. I know not whether there's a place for them anymore.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 2 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 2

A World Without a Superman

the closing statement of the Declaration of Independence, for the United States of America, and for all humanity

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home