Saturday, July 02, 2005

All US Kendo Championships 2005

The early morning drive to Michigan was fairly relaxed. We made a stop in Chicago to pick up Dominique and then a stop for lunch at Culver's. I kept awake with a good flow of Mint Mocha Chip Frappuccino® from Starbucks. It wasn't the most healthiest of morning choice beverages but I appreciated the caffeine rush.

We arrived in Ann Arbor by seven in the evening and checked into the Holiday Inn Express to drop off our bags. Shortly after getting to our rooms and unwinding, we had to get together again to find the gym where Michigan University was host to the tournament.

The Village of Ann Arbor is much like Madison. Once getting situated with the main streets, it was easy to find our way around. The clubs met around nine for a tournament meeting and introductions. It was also a time to volunteer to take up positions with helping ringside for timekeeper, scorekeeper and other positions--all of it to make the tournament run more smoothly. The volunteers in my group were all fun loving people from places such as Boston, Cleveland, Connecticut and Washington D.C..

The morning of the competition was the start of my twenty-fifth birthday. As hectic as usual was the morning call to breakfast. I always thought to eat light before a long day of Kendo so the continental breakfast was more than adequate. Our team got to the gym early for preparations.

The All US Kendo Championships plays host to all the Kendo Federations in the United States. The winners here will be a preview of players for the World Kendo Championships in Taiwan next year. The Wisconsin team is a member of the Midwest Kendo Federation with many of its members in Chicago and Detroit. Our federation did not fair so well in competition compared to teams on the west coast. In fact, the Southern California Kendo Federation took first places in all the team competitions with many of its individual members taking firsts in their respective divisions.

Today was a fine day to watch all the amazing competitors playing the best Kendo in their respective styles. After a long day of competition, I returned to the hotel for a swim and then a long relaxing dip in the jacuzzi. This did wonders on sore muscles as I lazily got out to head out for dinner. The bento lunches at the tournament were hardly gourmet for anyones besides the hungary kenshi. After getting cleaned up, we met in the lobby and joined up with members of the New York team.

For a birthday dinner, the two teams decided on the Shalimar Restaurant serving fine Indian cuisine. Over beers and spicy dinners shared in the family style of trying a little of each dish, we got to know each other, share stories, and toast to a great day of competition.

Happy birthday Fei!

All US Kendo Championships 2005
Gallery

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 3

All US Kendo Championships 2005

Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day

I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's home to me and I walk alone

I walk this empty street
On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Where the city sleeps
And I'm the only one and I walk alone

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
'Til then I walk alone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home