Thursday, July 21, 2005

Cooling Off

On midweek Wednesday, Madison had just a horridly hot day. Looking to cool off after class, I biked over to the lake. I was hoping to catch up on a little sailing or grab a board but there was not a shred of wind present. As I waited around for the wind to pick up, I ran into Prof. Hallisey down by the lake front. It appears that his daughter participates in the Hoofer Youth Sailing program which by the way is an excellent summer program for kids.

With windsurfing out as an option, I decide to go for a swim--just anything to cool off. Out in front of the Union Terrace was an unoccupied swimming pier. I walked out there, put my things aside and swam circles in the protected area. Once I tired of sloshing around, I came up for a breather. There were a couple of cute lifeguards on duty but they had little to do but talk about school. One of the girls lent me her goggles so that I could go for a quick dive of the shallow shore area. The algae was still strong in concentration in this part of the lake and I could see at most two or three feet in front of me. There wasn't much to see but fields of lake weeds and the occasional large rock. I did see, however, a few large carp and a smaller pan fish.

Feeling refreshed, I left for Kendo practice in the early evening. There was a good amount of people at practice despite the heat. Even Kiyota Sensei commented on how hot the practice room was going to exhaust even the lightest of workouts. All of us grew tired, nonetheless, at the end of practice I left with a feeling of accomplishment.

The unrelenting heat finally let out a little by late evening. Since I hadn't heard much from Andy lately, I decide to give him a call to see if he wanted to hang out. He's currently doing his Math Grad work at UW Milwaukee and he's not around a lot of the time. Anyways, neither of us had seen the new movie the Fantastic Four so we go to Star Cinema in Fitchburg where the screens are large and the theaters, I mention, are quite air-conditioned. As with most recent comic book adaptations, I enjoyed the movie and its attempts to stick to the creator's vision for the superhero genre. At the end of the day, there wasn't much accomplished at all but instead another summer's day of relaxation and cooling off.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home