Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Benefits of Kirikaeshi

It was quite a relief to pass the AUSKF Kendo Shinsa (promotional examination) and receive my rank of ikkyu. In Detroit I had only gone through the portion of the exam that tested appearance, etiquette, jikeiko (combat practice), and kata. The Sensei's gave us our final task, a short written exam, to take home and complete. The question was just one simple inquiry:

Explain the benefits of Kirikaeshi.

I will have to turn in my response to Mark at practice tomorrow. I found the book Kendo: the definitive guide by Hiroshi Ozawa a great resource in writing my answer.

In the past, I had assisted in adding to and editing articles for the open source, free internet encyclopedia, Wikipedia. Since there was no article on the term kirikaeshi, I decided to contribute my written examination as an article. It's far from perfect and there's so much more I can write on the subject but I'm too tired right now and have lots of reading to catch up on for school.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 2 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 1

Wikipedia article: kirikaeshi

Kirikaeshi

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I need to do the same thing for my Kendo test this year.

7:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home