Monday, September 12, 2005

Sensei and Sensibility

Sunday afternoon was spent helping Kiyota Sensei with more computer work. After our session, he presented me with a selection of art books from his personal collection. It was quite an honor and I thanked him profusely. He basically told me that he didn't have any need for them anymore because he's about to go away. I knew very well what he was referring to but I know he can't leave us so soon. There is so much more we have to learn from him. Out of our conversation, he tells me to get my nidan (Second Degree Blackbelt) as soon as I can and he will give me ten sets of bogu (Kendo armor) so that I might teach Kendo. I thank him again for his faith in me and I know it's one of those things in the world which I cannot let him down.

When I left Sensei's house, I felt a good gust of wind brewing that directed me toward the lake. Because of the Ironman Triathlon in Madison, it was rather hard to drive around downtown. I picked up Brock from his outing at Eagle Heights and we set out for some windsurfing. Out on the water, we catch a couple good rides before the wind started dying. For Brock, who had gone out too far, it was a chore to get back on low winds and in fact, the last stretch from the mooring field to the pier was accomplished on an exhausting swim back. It was of little annoyance though because the trailing end of summer's sunset is worth any price.

After a few good hours of riding the wind, we found ourselves pretty hungry. A short trip to the Echo Tap & Grill made way for a real Wisconsin meal of brat and hamburger, the ingredients of the Echo Burger. When our meal came, we were informed that the Green Bay Packers had taken a beating and lost the season opener. Even in the face of the bad news, we sit and enjoy our burgers. And in such cascading matters, I felt today my faith in Sensei and the very same he had for me. In return, I hope that Brock can look up to me as a teacher too and that I'd happily teach him all the things I've learned. Teacher to Student, brother to brother, friend to friend. These values are quite inherent in the concept of filial piety (Xiao).

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 3

Windy Day

Wake me up when September Ends by Green Day

Summer has come and passed,
the innocent can never last.
Wake me up when September ends.

Like my father's come to pass,
seven years has gone so fast.
Wake me up when September ends.

Here comes the rain again,
falling from the stars.
Drenched in my pain again,
becoming who we are.

As my memory rests,
but never forgets what I lost.
Wake me up when September ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home