Saturday, May 14, 2005

High School Monarchy

Work was slow tonight. I started on a new book, Dan Brown's Digital Fortress, about the National Security Agency and an unbreakable code. The main plot revolves around the characters David Becker, a professor of languages and Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful cryptographer. Working for the NSA, Susan is one of America's top programmers. I respect that. In fact, I'm acquainted with one of Wisconsin's hottest woman programmers. ;)

More than midway past my shift, I took a lunch break to stop in at the Masonic Temple where East High was hosting Prom 2005. Diana and Austin were both nominated for Prom Court. I went to take pictures. Waiting around, I recognized my old counselor and Spanish teacher and of course they still remember me though it's been years since I've last seen them. A few of my sister's friends saw me and came by to say hi. They sure grow up fast. I still remember taking pictures for them on the sidelines of little league soccer and basketball games. Now, these kids are only a year from graduation and on the footstep of adulthood.

At half past the hour, the court procession was announced and each couple made their way to the stage. My dad and I stood out of the way to grab a good picture. When it came time to announce this year's class King and Queen, dad had to be told how it all works--how the kids nominate and elect the chosen. In a crowd of screaming teenagers, Austin was proclaimed Prom King. Moments later, an even bigger uproar came to the fore when Diana was elected Prom Queen. My dad, most likely unsure of what was taking place, calls mom and tells her that Diana had just made Queen.

Before leaving the dance hall, I ran into my old Spanish teacher. We spoke about what I was doing at the University and where my life was going. Despite the things I told her, I question the reality of it all. There's still plenty of time to figure all that out later. Tonight was Diana and Austin's night to shine.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 2 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 3

Prom King and Queen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, extend my congrats to my lil' coz. They really do grow up fast. Somehow it doesn't compute that they can drive, etc. and so forth.

1:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home