Saturday, July 09, 2005

Before Midnight

I wasn't looking forward to another long weekend of work but because I had worked on Independence Day, I got the better part of Friday evening off. David had called earlier about making sure I met up with him for Julie's birthday later in the night.

Making the best of my time off, I stopped by the lake front. I got there as the Hoofer Sailing social was getting into full swing. The woman behind the grill was the very same person Brock and I had rescued a few nights before. They were serving a type of turkey burger and a side of spicy potato salad. Yummy! :)

For most of the day, the lake was not graced by any wind but rather delightfully warm weather. It was another great social dinner over a spectacular sunset. I'm the type of person that takes life day by day and the setting sun signifies an end. It's an end to a cycle which will begin again and in each birth is hope for great things. This night would inevitably turn out well.

With dinner over, the social began to wind down. Most people just sat around the rigging deck with a beer in hand and all sorts of ideas on the mind. After taking a call from David, Brock and I headed toward the Capitol Square to meet up with Julie at Brocach Irish Pub. It was her birthday and being a Math Grad student, a bunch of her department friends came along. Though it was kinda fun conversing with them, the party did not really start until David and Matt arrived. A round of birthday shots went around and we followed it down with a pint of Guinness.

The atmosphere at Brocach was good but the group decided to go to the Cardinal Bar to meet up with her other friends. Brock and I were the first to arrive to pay a cover charge for the Retro 80's Night of music and dance. It was here that I got introduced to Julie's friend Sarah. Working in the same math research department, both work with applied mathematics in biological modeling. Yikes, right!?

I found Sarah incredibly fun to talk to and we got down to discussing things from sailing to rock climbing. I suggested that she teach me rock climbing and in return, I'd teach her how to sail and windsurf. Sounds good to me. Later, she brought up paragliding, the exhilirating sport of running off a cliff and flying through the air in a parachute. I would love to fly and I'm totally game for it. When everyone else got to the Cardinal, another round of birthday shots were passed around and dancing ensued. Sarah and I were the first to hit the dance floor as Come on Eileen came through in thumping techno. With midnight approaching, I warned that I would be leaving soon. Sadly, I had to go directly to work after the bar and I said my goodbyes and birthday wishes.

Happy Birthday Julie!

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 3

Happy Birthday Julie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home