Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Summer Days

Today, I met an old friend down by the lake to practice my sailing on a 420. Wind conditions were much like yesterday (lame) so we take the boat out, put it in irons, and go for a swim where the water is clear. She, of course, loses her watch in the lake while swimming. With no way to recover it, we watch as it disappears into the deep. On a slow and steady course in, we talk and catch up on life. No surprises here.

The wind picks up a bit going into the early evening hours so I drop her off at the pier and take out a board. It wasn't much to get planing or anything but enough to practice tacks and jibs. At sundown, the wind picks up considerably. I tried some crazy moves such as an uphaul upwind, swinging the sail around and quick starting. Not too shabby.

Once I had my fun, I went back in. Brock had stopped by the lake front as I unrigged my sail. He got his first Tech rating yesterday and was anxious to go out and practice. I joined him and we sailed inline to out past the mooring field. Now a steady wind, conditions were good to play follow the leader.

Not long after, the night had taken over the Madison sky. Only a slim band of light can be seen over the horizon as we made our way back to pier. On the return, we catch a novice windsurfer trying to get back in. She was having some trouble going upwind and soon found herself drifting farther away from Hoofers. I quickly landed my boat and jumped into Brock's to mount a rescue. We sail in haste because it's getting dark.

With Brock at the helm we reach the windsurfer fairly quickly, however, with his inexperience and my weight on the bow, we capsize, almost turtling. Though a bit embarrassing, we recover gracefully and I sail back in the tech with my passenger. I had no problems getting back but the stronger winds made it hard for Brock to take the board in. Once on land, we call it a day.

Sadly, tomorrow is the beginning of a new work week. I start my summer class next Monday so this will be the last of the long days on the lake. There's little doubt that I'll be out on the waters again, but in a lesser capacity. Summer's half over. Responsibility beckons.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 3

Long Days on the Lake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home