Thursday, November 10, 2005

Kendo Demonstration in the Great Hall

I met with Prof. Murray today to talk about my term paper topic. While there wasn't much time to cover all the ground work that I had liked, it was clear that I have much work to do.

I went into work after class for a short shift before taking the night off. The UW Kendo Club was sponsoring a small demonstration at the Great Hall Memorial Union and I had a role to play.

I had invited several people and was especially glad that many had come. I've spent the last year studying the Art of the Sword and it was my pleasure to share that which has cultivated my spirit. It has taught me about failure and success and led me on a path of disciplining the human character. There is a truth that we all seek and it lies within the realization of individual growth.

The demonstration itself was fairly short. Mark gave a brief introduction of the history of Kendo along with a rundown of the armor we wear and the striking points we aim for in the sport. He followed his approach with a few demonstrations including several from myself and fellow club members. Sam and I had the pleasure of introducing kata. At the end of the presentation we bowed to the audience on each side and spread out to greet our friends in attendance.

After quickly cleaning up the area, we put our gear away to meet for dinner. As usual, Mark treats us to dinner at the Takara Japanese Steakhouse on State Street for the hard work we put in for the demonstration.

As for another treat tonight, Wisconsin Public Television was broadcasting a short segment about Kiyota Sensei and his teaching of Kendo at the University.

In Wisconsin - Kendo
Movie

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 3

 UW Kendo Club Great Hall Exhibition '05

~a pretty trippy picture of Sam, Eric, and me (above)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home