Sunday, October 30, 2005

Resounding Restlessness

My God, the weekend is all but over. As usual Halloween in Madison came through with much fanfare and let's not forget the trample of the police riot squad. State Street was cleared just an hour after bar time and mass hysteria ensued. But now it's over. Madison can rest again.

I have to admit, I haven't had as much sleep as I've had this weekend for quite some time. It was good to get some shuteye. I woke up Sunday not on my own accord. A recurring dream had rattled me some and I could not get back to sleep. It's no secret that there is a dream in particular that haunts me. Though the dream may differ every time, something about it is always the same.

Where do I begin...?

The elements that disturbed my slumber were very vivid indeed. I remember driving along a ridge adjoining an ocean coast. I was not alone. A girl, who had been in my dreams for as long as I've had them, was with me. What's strange is that I don't think I really know she is and yet I'm certain I've known her forever. It's a beautiful autumn day and we make a stop at a diner on the way. This diner overlooks a rocky basin that meets the sea. The evening sun is about to set yet it never seems to descend--it just hangs in the balance in its exalted orange radiance over all which fall under its light. It is here we sit to dine and talk. It's then that I know it must be a dream. I can see myself talking, lips moving but not a sound comes forth. She says something to me and I can't hear her either but I know what she has to say.

Before our meal arrives I notice something which I had missed before. This diner which hangs several hundred feet from the water below is actually a train car which was deposited on this rocky ledge. Seats filled both sides of the dining car and the two of us are seated on the ocean side. She makes a quick motion and leaves her chair. Confused, I chase after her until there's a steep set of stairs that go nowhere but up. You'd think it was odd that a train would have a second story but this diner did and I followed behind her. At this point, a passenger from the side says something to us which, for the first time, I could hear his words with my own ears. He mentions something up the road that must be seen for ourselves.

Excited by the idea we left then and there and headed down the track of road that twisted and clung to the rocky ridge. I don't remember much from here on but my next moments of recollection was how the harmony of all which had encompassed that evening had changed. The hue of the evening sun was replaced by cloudy grays and shadows from one corner to the next in a suburban jungle of cement buildings. These offices and towers had shaky foundations that leaned onto another. Cracks formed against the cement front of what must've once been a spectacular skyscraper. Unlike your typical metropolis, this one was deteriorating and the streets flooded. There were other people there as well, trying desperately to get out of the water. The water level was rising rather quickly.

Just then, a bus flew by rapidly and I can barely make out framed faces through the misty windows. The girl from my dreams was on it and she was clawing out for help. Crawling through the water as fast as I could, I swam after her but was not able to catch up to the speeding bus. It wasn't long until it left my sights and I found myself treading water. Rain started coming down hard and the water rose so high that it swallowed any remaining people and they must have drowned. Then, I was alone again.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 2 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 2

Sunset along Rocky Coast

Speed of Sound by Coldplay

How long before I get in
Before it starts before I begin
How long before you decide or
Before I know what it feels like
Where to, where do i go?
If you never try then you'll never know
How long do i have to climb
Up on the side of this mountain of mine

Look up, I look up at night
Planets are moving at the speed of light
Climb up, up in the trees
Every chance that you get is a chance you seize
How long am I gonna stand
With my head stuck under the sand
I start before I can stop or
Before I see things the right way up

All that noise and all that sound
All those places I have found
And birds go flying at the speed of sound
To show ya how it all began
Birds came flyin from the underground
If you could see it then you'd understand

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home