Sunday, January 01, 2006

Hello Year 2006

Head pounding, I look out the window to catch the first light of the New Year morning. As I begin to remember more residual traces of last night I now recall Dustin taking a wheel chair from the airport to cart his drunk self back to the room. Though he was now sleeping on the floor just short of his bed, I distinctly remember him spending the better part of the night laid out just outside our hotel room door.

Once I get myself ready for the day I take Melissa to the airport to meet up with her brother. She would go home for the day while Dustin and I take things easy. I intended to take this day for pampering and relaxation. Because we were not in the mood for sightseeing I lead us to the New England Aquarium for the 3D IMAX movie, Sharks. Afterwards, Dustin had a quest of his own to replace a soft drink he had taken out of the mini bar.

Back at the hotel I take in a swim and relax in the Jacuzzi. The calming feeling of basking myself in the hot swirling jets just loosened my body all over. This was truly the way to spend the first day of the year. When I get back up to the room I asked Dustin why he didn’t come down for a swim. After almost breaking into a full guffaw I notice he was cleaning himself up in the bathroom because of an incident with a clogged toilet.

We make a call to get the maintenance guy up there as we hastily left the room. As we head out into the city again I decide that we should try a path we have yet to explore. At some point in our Boston night walk we find ourselves back in the Beacon Hill area. We came upon a very cozy tavern called the Sevens. I asked the cute girl going in if this was a good place to hang out and she said “yes, of course, but I work here.” Well then, I follow her in and we belly up to the bar for a drink. This pub was another excellent choice. There was a high bar on one side while parallel on the other side were banks of wooden booths where people came to rest and to drink in good spirits. The front windows had fogged up in the air of the cool night and only a blurry image of the outside had come through. This was the image of Boston for me—friendly and inviting.

Leaving, we venture back out for a very long night walk throughout all parts of the city. Literally, we came upon the north end and then back down to south Boston by way of Chinatown. We continue our trip through the theater district and back through the park. Here we run into a funny side note. As I crossed the street to the park I mention to Dustin “see, there are other guys out wearing their backpacks around.” Stepping back, I see that it’s a white guy with a backpack, accompanied by an Asian guy and then another white girl. The three of them were just leisurely walking through the park. You must see the reflective irony in all this—we must have entered a bizarro world where the three of them were the mirror images of ourselves from yesterday.

With that bizarre scene over, we head back to get a good night’s rest. We leave tomorrow and there’s still much to be done.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 2

Beantown Pub

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home