Saturday, November 26, 2005

Commitment

After working a very easy third shift at the Help Desk last night, I dressed myself warmly for my snow kiting lessons with Jeane. This is the first season that Hoofers will be hosting this extreme sport as part of club activities. As for safety concerns, the University's risk management is actively looking at how this sport might affect the club and the continuation of the program.

With the weekend snow fall and cold, most of the people who signed up for today's lesson had bailed. John and myself met with Jeane and Juan at Warner park to go over safety and rigging. Then we went outside to search for a clear area to launch the kites. I started off on a 3 meter kite and even in today's light winds, it packed quite a bit of power. I was astonished how quickly I could pick this up. I learned how to carve figure eights in the sky and control the speed and power of the kite. Early on I struggled to keep the kite flying because Jeane said that I was not committing. The flight of the kite relies on tension and movement and only in committing to a turn will keep it flying. For now, the goal is to get more flying time before actually taking them out on the lake. Besides, the lakes haven't frozen over yet despite the cooler temperatures.

When I got done with the lesson, I headed downtown to meet David to look at a house on Adams Street for a final time. We were interested in buying the house and it put us in urgent mode when an offer was made by another party. Stephanie, a friend and realtor, had made the trip from Waukesha with David to offer us the guidance we so desperately needed. Everything was going so quickly that before we could grasp the entirety of the situation, we put in an offer with our buyer agent. After all, only hours ago I was learning about commitment.

Of all the things that were going through my head at the moment, I have to say that excitement had trumped all at the chance that we could be homeowners tonight. The three of us, while we waited, went to Lucky's for lunch. After two pitchers of beer and a most filling meal, we got the call. Our agent had called David and flat out said that our offer was passed by--our competitor's bid accepted. Hearing of the news was definitely a downer but then again, I think that some things weren't meant to be and there's plenty of other homes out there. I'm sure that when it is time, opportunity will find us. If anything, today has taught us one thing and it is that we're ready to commit to our actions.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 3 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 3

Snow Kiting at Warner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home