Saturday, January 21, 2006

Life in the Back Seat

Have you ever felt like life has put you in the back seat?
Someone's behind the wheel and it's not you.

Now that things are changing for me (and they're changing incredibly fast), I can't help but feel that I'm no longer the driver--just a passenger in the back and I have no idea where life's taking me. There's a school of thought which says to ignore the destination, just enjoy the ride. While it all sounds fine and dandy, not knowing where you're going can cause unwarranted fears in the mind. It's the not knowing that drives people to lost whereabouts in the questioning soul.

My studies this semester will have me examine the workings of Buddhism from its roots in India to its later development in all of Asia. I guess I've always had an interest in the subject and perhaps even a good understanding of its fundamentals but really, the seeker of this truth is the one who searches for a way out. Out of what you say? Well, it's to free yourself from this world--not just to take hold of the wheel but to leave the vehicle that drives the present life.

Yet, maybe I'm not ready to leave--there's still much to be done in this life. Compassion to help others along the way is the noble path and the key to good karma.

Again, there will be things in this world that drives me and leaves me without control. I can only handle the things that I am able to master and steer life in the right direction. Is that not reason to continue on the noble path?

I think yes.
Only time will tell.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 2 | Energy: 2 | Friends: 3

Back Seat

"Every man has his own destiny: The only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him."
-Henry Miller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home