Sunday, January 22, 2006

Good Faith in People

I had a late night grocery shopping excursion and then stopped by the post office to drop off a package. On my way out, I was approached by a woman needing help. Her car was slowly leaking gasoline and didn't have enough fuel to get home. Furthermore, she didn't have any money on her to fill up and was scared to be stranded alone. I of course ask if I could help in anyway, give her a ride somewhere, or anything. Her home is out in Middleton and she's stuck here on Madison's east side. She said she couldn't leave her car here either. I asked if she had a spare gas canister to fill up. She says no.

I run over to look at the situation and her tank is indeed leaking ever so lightly. But then I see a gas canister in the back of the beat-up car and it's starting to look a bit sketchy. She then asks for money to help her out and I'm left there to think if this isn't some sort of scam. Appealing to my better nature, I give her twenty bucks along with my phone number as she has promised to pay me back. Reflecting upon the situation, even if it were a scam, it looked like she could use the money.

This morning she actually calls for my address and she will repay me. I guess I'm just glad she made it home let alone expect the repayment. Sometimes you're presented with a decision to question a person's will or trust their good faith. Last night, I made the decision to give in the face of doubt. I'm glad I chose to help. It has certainly restored my good faith in others.

Fei-O-Meter
Activity: 2 | Energy: 3 | Friends: 2

1 Comments:

Blogger UltimateWriter said...

You did good. The world needs more good people like you.

11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home